Yo Armendariz KPA CTP
Dog etiquette is significant no matter where you reside. Before taking your dog out to walk outside: loose leash walking, eye contact, sit and recalls all should be taught and practiced in a less distracted environment.
Here’s a list of dog walking tips that will make your walks more enjoyable for both you and your dog.
- Utilize a Front Clip Harness – Dog collars and harnesses that clip on the back actually Market more pulling. Devote time to training your dog to walk nicely, be reinforcing where you want your dog to walk.
- Reinforce wanted behaviors- Allowing your pup to sniff, carry their favorite toy, earn a treat, or even chase a squirrel all can be great rewards for wanted behaviors. Look for opportunities to train your dog during their walk. You’d be surprised at how exhausting a walk with a little training can be for your dog. We often focus on just the physical aspect of walking, but keep in mind that extra mental stimulation your dog gets.
- Pick up Poop- It’s unsanitary and just plain rude to leave your dog’s poop on the sidewalk. Not to mention, certain diseases and parasites, can be transmittable via feces.
- Collar with Proper Identification- Every time you leave the house with your dog ensure that they’re wearing ID tags.
- Bring High Valued Treats- Just in case you meet up with distractions.
- Body Language- Watch your dogs body language. Take the time to learn and understand the frequent signals that your dog displays.
Be your dogs advocate. Protect your dog from other dogs, and from other people. You may need to speak up for your dog and say “NO, you can not pet my dog!” in a variety of situations. You want your dog to trust that you will only put into situations that can comfortably be handle.